International Payments FAQ
OSU has partnered with Western Union Business Solutions to provide international students an alternative method for paying student bills. This payment option allows you to pay your student account balance in the currency of your choice and provides a simple and reliable way of initiating payments electronically.
Advantages of using the student payment portal:
- Foreign currency quote is easily obtained by accessing the payment method through the OSU Bursar Website.
- Tuition and fees are paid in the currency of your choice which is converted to U.S. Dollars.
- There are NO additional transaction charges from Western Union Business Solutions or OSU, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
- The exchange rate is valid for 72 hours after the transaction is initiated, taking the uncertainty out of the total payment amount.
- The exchange rate is competitive when compared to most banks' retail rates.
- Payments received will include your reference information, which ensures that your payment reaches your student account quickly.
- Payments will be electronically transmitted to OSU ensuring timely posting.
- Payments will be posted 2 to 5 business days from the time payment is initiated.
How to initiate a payment:
Step 1: Initiate your payment quote online
- Go to the International Payment page
- Enter your student details (BannerID, Name, and Email)
- Enter the amount due in U.S. Dollars
- Choose your currency type
- A payment amount in your currency of choice will automatically be generated. This quote is secured for 72 hours
- Agree to the payment amount and accept terms and conditions
- Download payment instructions, including a reference number, as a PDF document. You will need the reference number to complete your payment in Step 2
Step 2: Transfer funds to Western Union Business Solutions
- The payment instructions will tell you how to transfer funds through your personal bank or online
- If you have your bank send the funds to Western Union Business Solutions, be sure that they send your reference number
Step 3: Western Union Business Solutions does the rest!
- Using your reference number, Western Union Business Solutions will transfer your funds into your Bursar's Account
- This usually takes 2 to 5 business days after your local bank initiates payment to Western Union Business Solutions
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the benefits of using the international student payment method?
When you select to make your payments via the international student payment method you will receive an exchange rate that is valid for 72 hours, which can be accepted before sending your funds. You will always know the amount you're going to pay in local currency at the time you send your payment and have confidence that the right amount will arrive to OSU.
- Do I need to provide OSU’s bank details?
No. You only need the local bank details that will be provided to you as a PDF. Western Union Business Solutions holds OSU’s bank details. All payments will be allocated accordingly using individual student ID numbers.
- Can I make a transfer via my own bank?
To get the benefits of this service it is important that you send your payment amount to Western Union Business Solutions using the reference number that is provided. You can use your own bank to make this transfer to Western Union Business Solutions. Make sure that your bank sends the reference number you have been given. This ensures your tuition and fee payment is easily identifiable and not be delayed.
- Which fees can I pay using this service?
This service can be used to make payment for all balances on your student account.
- I can find my home country but it doesn't let me use my home currency. Why?
Unfortunately, due to international and domestic banking regulations, some currencies are unable to be traded on the open market or are otherwise unavailable. In the instances where your country appears as an option but the currency is unavailable, you can select an alternative currency, including U.S. Dollar, to ensure your payment will be posted to your student account quickly.